Centre`s move to promote Hindi not an `insult` to English: BJP
New Delhi: BJP Friday sought to defend the government`s move to promote Hindi, saying it seeks to bind the nation together and should not be construed as an "insult" to English.
"Hindi is the national language and is the heart of the country. Priority to Hindi cannot be (construed as) an insult to English. The government`s initiative for according priority to Hindi and regional languages is a welcome step," BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
He said Hindi is a mixture of different regional languages like Tamil, Telugu, Malayali, Gujarati, Bengali, Assamese, Urdu and other regional languages.
It was unfortunate that despite Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal nehru, Deen Dayal Upadhyay and Rammanohar Lohia`s efforts to propagate Hindi to connect the people of different parts of the country, the previous governments have not taken enough steps to promote it, Naqvi said.
"This time, the government is honestly doing everything to promote Hindi," he said.
"There is no conflict between Hindi and English. If somebody is opposing Hindi, it is not the right thing because they have to understand that Hindi and other regional languages have not got their proper right in the past," Naqvi said.
Two Home Ministry circulars seeking to promote official language Hindi in the social media has raked up a controversy with DMK accusing the Centre of imposing the language on non- Hindi speaking sections.
While the government decision was attacked by DMK chief M Karunanidhi, Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju had said yesterday that he will promote use of Hindi in all official work and public life
Home Minister Rajnath Singh had, however, sought to down play the controversy by saying the Centre will promote all languages of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani