CET for medical courses put on hold
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, August 20, 2010, 21:46
  
New Delhi: The Health ministry has put on hold the Common Entrance Test (CET) for under graduate and post graduate medical courses apparently following objections raised by prominent leaders in Tamil Nadu, including Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.

Health Secretary Sujatha Rao said the decision on the common entrance has been kept in abeyance for now but did not elaborate.

The Medical Council of India had earlier this week announced the CET from next year saying that the Health ministry has already cleared it.

Yesterday, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Karunanidhi and AIADMK leader Jayalalithaa spoke in one voice against CET for Medical education, saying it will affect the state's 69 per cent reservation policy.

Karunanidhi said he had already written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on August 15, expressing the state's inability to accept CET as it had been abolished in the state.

Jayalalitha said, the Centre's move would sound a "death knell" to social justice.

Echoing similar views, S Ramadoss of PMK, a backward- Vanniyar community based party with significant electoral clout, said the new proposal, if implemented, would allow a "back-door entry" of CET in the state.

If a CET for medical courses as per the MCI proposal was introduced, it will result in a situation where more students from other states would come to the state for education but may not stay here after graduating, he said.

-PTI


First Published: Friday, August 20, 2010, 21:46


comments powered by Disqus