CET row: Govt-IIT Council to meet next week
New Delhi: The government has called a special meeting of the IIT Council next week to address the concerns of students after IIT Delhi and Kanpur rejected the proposed single entrance test.
Sources in HRD Ministry said the special meeting has been convened on June 27 after the developments yesterday in IIT Delhi, where the Senate adopted a resolution rejecting the proposed test and deciding to conduct its own entrance exam.
IIT Kanpur had earlier this month also rejected the proposed exam on the grounds that it was "academically and methodically unsound".
"The special meeting will discuss the fallout of the move of the two IITs, address the issue of uncertainty faced by the students and the way ahead to end the logjam," sources said.
There are indications that IIT Bombay and IIT Kharagpur may follow the stand of their Delhi and Kanpur counterparts.
The government had on May 28 announced the new test from 2013, under which aspiring candidates for IITs and other central institutes like NITs and IIITs will have to sit under a new format of common entrance test which will also take plus two board results into consideration.
The IITs oppose the new format contending that the proposed test will increase stress of students instead of decreasing it. They feel students aspiring to join institutes other than the IITs need not sit for two test - main and advance - as proposed.
They have also insisted that board examination results should not be taken into consideration while preparing the merit list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof