C`garh administration targeting CPI cadres: D Raja
New Delhi: CPI on Sunday alleged that the
Chhattisgarh administration was targeting its cadres in
Dantewada district by branding them as Maoists and demanded
the Centre to initiate action against guilty people.
The CPI demanded the Home Ministry to "question the
Chhattisgarh Government`s role in targeting the party and
arresting its elected leaders and cadres".
Party`s national secretary D Raja also sought action
against SSP Dantewada S R P Kalluri, alleging that hundreds of
CPI supporters were attacked by the "administration" on
November 25 while taking out a rally to register their protest
against police atrocities.
He alleged that 12 of its prominent leaders in the state
have also been subjected to attacks on various occasions both
by the state and the central police.
"CPI strongly condemns the brutal attacks. The way the
state and the central security forces act against the
legitimate function of party like CPI poses a grave threat to
the democratic polity of the country," he said.
Raja said the state government and the Centre had failed
to understand the differences between the political workers of
CPI and the Maoists.
"In a way, the state administration and the security
forces are using the Maoist cover to attack a genuine
recognised political party like CPI which has been working
among tribal people for long protecting their interest and
welfare," he said.
Raja also demanded that arrested leaders and cadres of
the party be released immediately and cases registered against
them be withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon