Chachra to be appointed as Western Army Commander
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday cleared the appointment of Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra as Western Army Commander but promotion of 3 Corps Commander Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag as the head of Eastern Command remained stuck as it has been put on hold by outgoing Army Chief Gen V K Singh.
Defence Ministry officials on Wednesday said the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has also approved the appointment of 15 Corps Commander Lt Gen Syed Ata Hasnain as the new Military Secretary to replace Chachra.
The Defence Ministry had recommended the names of Suhag and Chachra together for heading the Eastern and Western Commands respectively but after the former was issued a show cause notice for a failed intelligence operation in Assam, he was put under a Discipline and Vigilance ban and his promotion is held up.
This would mean that the Kolkata-based Eastern Command, guarding the sensitive boundary along with China, will remain headless for some time as the present Commander Lt Gen Bikram Singh on Thursday moves here to take over as the new Army Chief.
However, as the seniormost Corps Commander under the Eastern Command, Suhag will be holding some of the important responsibilities there.
A number of important Corps, including the Yol Cantt-based 9 Corps, are without heads for some time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon