`Chacko has no moral right to preside over JPC`
New Delhi: Expressing no-confidence in PC Chacko as Chairman of JPC, against whom 15 members of the 30-member Committee have represented to the Speaker for his removal, BJP Thursday said he has no right to preside over the panel in such circumstances.
The opposition party cited Constitutional provisions under Articles 91 and 92 when a no-confidence against the Chairman of Rajya Sabha or the Speaker has been expressed by 50 per cent of the members, he/she cannot preside over the proceedings or can cast his or her vote.
"Elementary principle of fairness demands that Mr Chacko now cannot preside over any meeting of the JPC. He should not preside till a decision is taken. 50 per cent of the members have given in writing expressing no-confidence in him," BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
BJP said Chacko prepared a report on his own and never consulted the members.
Prasad said the conduct of the JPC chairman right from the very beginning was "unbecoming" and said Chacko had used his post to "subvert" the truth.
"The conduct of the Chairman of the JPC from the very beginning has been highly partison, unfair, prejudicious and unbecomming of the post to which he was appointed by the Speaker. He has failed in his duty to lead the JPC to bring out the truth. Instead, he has used the JPC to conceal and subvert the truth," JPC members said in their no-confidence to the Speaker asking her to remove Chacko from JPC Chairmanship and appoint another instead.
He said the manner in which the entire JPC was sought to be conducted repeatedly gave the impression that "perhaps an attempt is being made that true facts may not come to light" and said many relevant witnesses who ought to have been examined were denied.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know