`Chacko has no moral right to preside over JPC`
New Delhi: Expressing no-confidence in PC Chacko as Chairman of JPC, against whom 15 members of the 30-member Committee have represented to the Speaker for his removal, BJP Thursday said he has no right to preside over the panel in such circumstances.
The opposition party cited Constitutional provisions under Articles 91 and 92 when a no-confidence against the Chairman of Rajya Sabha or the Speaker has been expressed by 50 per cent of the members, he/she cannot preside over the proceedings or can cast his or her vote.
"Elementary principle of fairness demands that Mr Chacko now cannot preside over any meeting of the JPC. He should not preside till a decision is taken. 50 per cent of the members have given in writing expressing no-confidence in him," BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
BJP said Chacko prepared a report on his own and never consulted the members.
Prasad said the conduct of the JPC chairman right from the very beginning was "unbecoming" and said Chacko had used his post to "subvert" the truth.
"The conduct of the Chairman of the JPC from the very beginning has been highly partison, unfair, prejudicious and unbecomming of the post to which he was appointed by the Speaker. He has failed in his duty to lead the JPC to bring out the truth. Instead, he has used the JPC to conceal and subvert the truth," JPC members said in their no-confidence to the Speaker asking her to remove Chacko from JPC Chairmanship and appoint another instead.
He said the manner in which the entire JPC was sought to be conducted repeatedly gave the impression that "perhaps an attempt is being made that true facts may not come to light" and said many relevant witnesses who ought to have been examined were denied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves