Chacko rejects Sinha`s demand for PM`s appearance before JPC on 2G
New Delhi: JPC chairman PC Chacko on Wednesday rejected BJP leader Yashwant Sinha`s demand for Prime Minister Minister Singh`s appearance before the panel probing the 2G issue, saying the committee has "passed that phase".
"We have passed that phase. We are now preparing the draft of the committee report for which the Commitee has authorized its Chairman unanimously," Chacko, who is also a Congress spokesperson, said at the AICC briefing.
Chacko, who had yesterday rubbished Sinha`s demand as a "political stunt", today questioined how can any individual member of the JPC make such a suggestion when a due process has to be followed on whether any minister has to be called before the panel or not.
"There is no question of calling the Prime Minister or any minister just like that. We cannot call people merely because of somebody making a statement, " he said.
Chacko claimed that "in the 56 meetings of the JPC, nobbody gave a suggestion for calling the Prime Minister or any Minister."
"Moreover, there is a rule that no minister can be called before the JPC. If at all JPC wants to call a minister, it has to take a unanimous decision first and then send the request to Lok Sabha Speaker. Any miinister can be called before a Parliamentary panel only after the permission of the Speaker," the JPC Chairman said.
Two days after Sinha, a JPC member, wrote to the Prime Minister on the issue, Singh responded today by saying that "the decision as to what evidence should be sought and which individuals should be asked to appear before the JPC is a matter that needs to be decided internally by the JPC and its Chairman."
Chacko said "if the JPC is not calling the PM (to appear before it), what can the Prime Minister do."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!