Chaitra Poornima celebrations underway
New Delhi: Hindus in large numbers converged on Thursday at temples in New Delhi to celebrate the birthday of Hanuman.
Chaitra Poornima, the full moon day in the month of Chaitra, it is the birthday of Lord Hanuman. Since morning devotees are visiting the temple to offer prayers.
Devotees celebrate the festival by praying and chanting hymns in praise of Lord Hanuman and offering flowers and sweets at the age-old temple.
Later in the day, Bhandaras (community kitchens) would be organized and religious offerings would be served to the devotees and poor people.
Talking to a reporter, Shrawan Kumar Gupta, a devotee, praised Lord Hanuman and added that he fulfilled everyone`s wishes.
"I have been coming here for the past fifteen years and I have faith in Lord Hanuman. I am blessed by the Lord. I have got whatever I wished for. I pray that the Lord fulfils everyone wishes," said Gupta.
Lord Hanuman is a symbol of vitality and strength. He is also believed to help devotees get rid of evil influences.
In Ramayana, Hanuman helped his master Lord Rama to annihilate the kingdom of Sri Lanka headed by Ravana, who had kidnapped his wife Sita and enabled her rescue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers