Chaitra Poornima celebrations underway
New Delhi: Hindus in large numbers converged on Thursday at temples in New Delhi to celebrate the birthday of Hanuman.
Chaitra Poornima, the full moon day in the month of Chaitra, it is the birthday of Lord Hanuman. Since morning devotees are visiting the temple to offer prayers.
Devotees celebrate the festival by praying and chanting hymns in praise of Lord Hanuman and offering flowers and sweets at the age-old temple.
Later in the day, Bhandaras (community kitchens) would be organized and religious offerings would be served to the devotees and poor people.
Talking to a reporter, Shrawan Kumar Gupta, a devotee, praised Lord Hanuman and added that he fulfilled everyone`s wishes.
"I have been coming here for the past fifteen years and I have faith in Lord Hanuman. I am blessed by the Lord. I have got whatever I wished for. I pray that the Lord fulfils everyone wishes," said Gupta.
Lord Hanuman is a symbol of vitality and strength. He is also believed to help devotees get rid of evil influences.
In Ramayana, Hanuman helped his master Lord Rama to annihilate the kingdom of Sri Lanka headed by Ravana, who had kidnapped his wife Sita and enabled her rescue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in