Chaitra Poornima celebrations underway
New Delhi: Hindus in large numbers converged on Thursday at temples in New Delhi to celebrate the birthday of Hanuman.
Chaitra Poornima, the full moon day in the month of Chaitra, it is the birthday of Lord Hanuman. Since morning devotees are visiting the temple to offer prayers.
Devotees celebrate the festival by praying and chanting hymns in praise of Lord Hanuman and offering flowers and sweets at the age-old temple.
Later in the day, Bhandaras (community kitchens) would be organized and religious offerings would be served to the devotees and poor people.
Talking to a reporter, Shrawan Kumar Gupta, a devotee, praised Lord Hanuman and added that he fulfilled everyone`s wishes.
"I have been coming here for the past fifteen years and I have faith in Lord Hanuman. I am blessed by the Lord. I have got whatever I wished for. I pray that the Lord fulfils everyone wishes," said Gupta.
Lord Hanuman is a symbol of vitality and strength. He is also believed to help devotees get rid of evil influences.
In Ramayana, Hanuman helped his master Lord Rama to annihilate the kingdom of Sri Lanka headed by Ravana, who had kidnapped his wife Sita and enabled her rescue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?