Chandigarh LS seat: Young voters to play crucial role
Chandigarh: The young voters of the lone Lok Sabha seat of Chandigarh are set to play a crucial role when LS polls will be held here on April 10.
According to official statistics, Union Territory Chandigarh, which is also the common capital of Punjab and Haryana, has a population of nearly 11.9 lakh, with a voter strength of 5.87 lakh that includes 2.65 lakh women electorates.
Nearly half of the voters in Chandigarh, which has a literacy rate of 76 percent, are below the 45 years age group and are set to play crucial role in electing their MP.
At present, Chandigarh is represented by Congress` four-time Lok Sabha MP Pawan Kumar Bansal, who had to step down as Railway Minister last year in the wake of the railgate scandal, in which his nephew Vijay Singla was a prime accused.
Majority of the Chandigarh`s populace is urban. While the voter strength has gone up from 5.24 lakh in 2009 Lok Sabha polls, of these over 18,000 will be casting their votes for the first time, officials said.
"I am excited to cast vote for the first time. It`s great to know that youth power will play a crucial role in electing MP from Chandigarh," said 19-year-old Vishal, a student of a local college here.
Traditionally, Chandigarh has never witnessed a high voter turnout in previous elections, with a poor percentage of 42.36 percent in 1998. In 2004, it was 52.06 percent, which, however, jumped to an all-time high in 65.51 percent in 2009 polls.
With 65-year-old Pawan Kumar Bansal likely to get the party ticket from here, this time he will find himself locked in a multi-cornered contest.
The Aam Aadmi Party has declared Savita Bhatti, widow of famous satirist Jaspal Bhatti, as its candidate from here while the BSP has named Jannat Jahan as the party candidate.
The BJP is yet to announce its candidate.
Chandigarh BJP president Sanjay Tandon, former MP Satya Pal Jain and former Union Minister Harmohan Dhawan are among the front runners for the party ticket from here, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in