Chandrashekhar`s son joins BJP
New Delhi: Former prime minister Chandrashekhar`s son Pankaj Singh on Saturday joined the BJP in the presence of party president Rajnath Singh at the party headquarters here.
Pankaj Singh had sent overtures to the BJP in the past few months and expressed his wish to join the party. Chandrashekhar`s other son Neeraj Shekhar is a Samajwadi Party Lok Sabha member from Ballia.
Rajnath Singh welcomed the Thakur leader from Uttar Pradesh into the BJP fold. BJP UP unit chief Laxmikant Bajpai and national general secretary JP Nadda were also present on the occasion.
Party sources said Pankaj Singh is likely to be fielded as a BJP candidate in the Lok Sabha polls due in 2014. BJP is making all efforts to improve its prospects in the politically crucial state of UP that sends 80 MPs to the Lower House.
From a high of 58 seats in 1998, BJP`s tally in UP in the general elections came down to nine in the 2009 polls.
Chandrashekhar`s party Samajwadi Janata Party is now virtually defunct as both his sons have joined other parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!