Change in recruitment process for IAS, IPS via promotion quota
New Delhi: A state service officer may have to go through written test and interview to get promoted to IAS and IPS cadre under a revised scheme proposed by the government.
"It has been approved in principle, to consider a few changes in the scheme of selection process for recruitment to the promotion quota of various cadres of All India Services," Minister of State for Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension V Narayanasamy said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
As per the existing regulations, the assessment of the suitability of a candidate is made on the basis of his service records.
"As per the revised scheme, it is proposed to assess the candidate on the basis of four components i.e. Written Examination, Length of Service, Assessment of Performance Appraisal Reports and Interviews," he said.
The All India Services comprise Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Forest Service (IFoS).
The decision in this regard was taken after consulting the state governments and the concerned Cadre Controlling Authorities (i.e., the Ministry of Home Affairs (for IPS) and the Ministry of Environment and Forest (for IAS)).
Further, to implement the scheme, necessary amendments in the concerned rules or regulations are necessary, he said, adding that the state governments & the CCAs concerned have been consulted on this aspect also.
The central government has received certain objections from different quarters, such as that the new scheme will be detrimental to the interests of senior state services officers; it would also undermine the element of experience vis-à-vis academic knowledge and would be against the larger public interest as the officers would prefer studying in place of doing public service, etc, the minister said.
The inputs received in this regard from the state governments and other quarters will be kept in view in firming up the regulations, Narayanasamy said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know