Change in recruitment process for IAS, IPS via promotion quota
New Delhi: A state service officer may have to go through written test and interview to get promoted to IAS and IPS cadre under a revised scheme proposed by the government.
"It has been approved in principle, to consider a few changes in the scheme of selection process for recruitment to the promotion quota of various cadres of All India Services," Minister of State for Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension V Narayanasamy said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
As per the existing regulations, the assessment of the suitability of a candidate is made on the basis of his service records.
"As per the revised scheme, it is proposed to assess the candidate on the basis of four components i.e. Written Examination, Length of Service, Assessment of Performance Appraisal Reports and Interviews," he said.
The All India Services comprise Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Forest Service (IFoS).
The decision in this regard was taken after consulting the state governments and the concerned Cadre Controlling Authorities (i.e., the Ministry of Home Affairs (for IPS) and the Ministry of Environment and Forest (for IAS)).
Further, to implement the scheme, necessary amendments in the concerned rules or regulations are necessary, he said, adding that the state governments & the CCAs concerned have been consulted on this aspect also.
The central government has received certain objections from different quarters, such as that the new scheme will be detrimental to the interests of senior state services officers; it would also undermine the element of experience vis-à-vis academic knowledge and would be against the larger public interest as the officers would prefer studying in place of doing public service, etc, the minister said.
The inputs received in this regard from the state governments and other quarters will be kept in view in firming up the regulations, Narayanasamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?