Change of Guard at Rashtrapati Bhavan a tourist attraction
New Delhi: Over 1,000 people congregated on the lawns of the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Saturday to watch the traditional ``Changing of the Guard`` ceremony.
The ceremony was open for the general public to view two years ago in 2007 when Pratibha Patil became the new President.
Now, the administration of the Rashtrapati Bhavan want to take the ``Changing of the Guard`` ceremony one step further-to add it on the world tourism map.
They want the ceremony to be on tourists` itinerary and thereby promote tourism in the country.
"We are happy that about one thousand people came to see the ceremony. The aim programme is to show it from a tourism point of view. We want to include it in the tourism map," said Christy Fernandes, secretary to the President.
The Rashtrapati Bhavan administration hopes that the ceremonial splendour will help in attracting tourists.
Scores of people had gathered at the lawns to see the 15th Battalion of the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles replacing the 6th Battalion of the Assam Rifles, who have completed their duty as the Army guard at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
This tradition of ceremonial Changing of Guard dates back to the raising of the President`s Bodyguards with 50 handpicked Horsemen in 1773, then called ``The Guards of Moguls``, at Banaras by the then Governor, Warren Hastings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof