`Change of mindset needed to curb honour killings`
Pune: Describing honour killings as "murder", NHRC chairman Justice KG Balakrishnan on Thursday sought a change in the social mindset to root out such acts while underlining the need for a "scientific investigation" of these cases.
"It is a complex issue. There are enough laws to deal with these cases. The so called honour killing is murder and prompt action should be initiated with scientific investigation to book the culprits", he said after inaugurating a seminar on "Tradition, Culture and Human Rights", organised jointly by NHRC and University of Pune.
Balakrishnan said proper education was needed to effect societal changes to understand that young people should be given liberty to marry as per their wish and live their own life.
"We need to change the social mindset. It is their own children. These people (who indulge in honour killing) are otherwise honourable", he said.
Expressing satisfaction over around 99 per cent compliance by state governments on NHRC recommendations on various human rights violation cases and compensation paid to victims, Balakrishnan said the violations included, among other things, police atrocities, encounters, denial of health facilities etc.
In current year, 61,000 cases of compliance have so far been noted by NHRC, he added.
"We also have a team of lawyers who screen spurious complaints and give us a feedback", Balakrishnan said, adding the commission was doing outsourcing whenever faced with manpower constraints.
He said principles of human rights will assume importance if basic needs of citizens are taken care of.
"Level of economic development in a country had a direct bearing on the civil and political rights of citizens and its implementation," Balakrishnan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley