Change SOPs to deploy Army during riots: MHA to MoD
New Delhi: Upset over delay in deployment of the army during the recent violence in Assam, the Union Home Ministry has asked the Defence Ministry to change the latter`s standard operating procedures (SOP) of deployment of troops to tackle such a situation to save innocent lives.
The Home Ministry in a communication has conveyed to the Defence Ministry that the SOPs for troops` deployment in a situation of riot cannot take precedence over law, a senior government official told PTI.
Section 130 of the CrPC empowers an executive magistrate to requisition army troops and says the officer concerned of the armed forces "shall obey such requisition".
Under the army`s SOPs in vogue since the anti-Sikh riots in 1984, the request for army deployment to tackle riots has to be routed through the Defence Ministry.
Delay in deployment of army troops in violence-hit areas of Assam last month saw the maximum number of killings and spread of the clashes between Bodos and minority immigrants there.
The Kokrajhar district administration had requested for army deployment on July 20 and the army was deployed only on July 25.
Similarly, the plea for troops deployment in Dhurbi district was made on July 23 and the actual deployment took place on July 25, the Home Ministry communication noted.
The Home Ministry has asked the Defence Ministry to amend its SOPs so that the army can be deployed the moment such a request comes from the civil administration.
When the ethnic clashes broke out in Assam, the local army commanders did not accept the requests saying they need an order from the Ministry of Defence, after which Assam Chief Secretary Naba Kumar Das had to approach Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma.
Union Home Secretary R K Singh also spoke to Sharma and requested him to ensure deployment of troops.
Army troops could have reached the trouble spots within three to four hours as two major army stations, including a full Mountain Division, are located within a distance of 150 kms from Kokrajhar, Dhubri and Chirang districts.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had said that the army presence from day one would have prevented the "unprecedented crisis" and loss of so many lives.
At least 57 people were killed in the violence which rendered 5.02 lakh people homeless during the week-long mayhem.
"We cannot allow such a situation to continue where innocent lives could be lost only due to delay in deployment of troops. MoD should do whatever possible -- either repeal or amend the SOPs -- to avoid the delay," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark