`Chapra rail wheel factory ready for commissioning`
New Delhi: Government Friday informed the Rajya Sabha that a rail axle wheel manufacturing factory in Chapra in Bihar is ready for commissioning, a development which would reduce dependence on import of wheels.
"Chapra wheel (factory) is ready for commissioning," Railway Minister Mukul Roy said during Question Hour.
Roy said he has requested Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and RJD chief Lalu Prasad to be present on the occasion.
He, however, did not announce the date of commissioning.
The project was announced in the 2005-06 Railway Budget.
Roy also informed the House that two locomotive plants at Madhepura (electric) and Marhora (diesel) in the state, which are being set up in public-private partnership (PPP) mode, would be completed "as soon as possible".
Since these two facilities are being set up in the PPP mode, he said they require due diligence.
Estimated cost of these two plants is about Rs 29,800 crore. Bidding documents for the multi-crore projects are being finalised by the Railways.
Roy also said the House that progress on projects announced during the tenure of former Railway Ministers was "very good".
In reply to a question regarding concession in rail travel to journalists, Minister of State for Railways Bharatsinh Solanki said the facility is not being provided in online reservation as mediapersons are required to submit documents.
He said since fares in suburban and passengers trains are highly subsidised, "no concessions are given" to any person in those trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!