Chardham yatra remains suspended for fourth consecutive day
Dehradun: With the wet weather continuing and roads to Himalayan shrines blocked by debris from landslips at several points, the chardham yatra remained suspended for the fourth consecutive day today.
Earlier the yatra was suspended only till yesterday but the administration issued an advisory to districts on the yatra route not to resume the pilgrimage today.
"We have kept the yatra to Gangotri and Yamunotri suspended for today complying with the administrative advisory in the light of MeT department warning. It may be resumed tomorrow but that too depends on weather in the higher reaches and the condition of roads which are blocked at several places at present," Uttarkashi DM Ravishankar told on phone.
However, he said it is not raining heavily in the district at the moment which indicates the weather may improve by tomorrow.
But schools which were closed yesterday as a precautionary measure will reopen only on Monday. Yoga guru Ramdev, who is on his way back from Gaumukh, has been advised to stay in Uttarkashi along with his followers till the road blocked at Nalupani in the district is cleared,?the DM said.
"Ramdev and his team of followers, who are now at Uttarkashi will remain there till the road at Nalupani is cleared. We will allow him to go down only when the road is cleared and fit for use," he said.
Yatra to Badrinath in Chamoli district and to Kedarnath in Rudrprayag district is also suspended with rains continuing intermittently and the highways leading to the shrines blocked at a number of places.
The Rishikesh-Badrinath Highway is blocked at Sirobagad, Lambagad and Patalganga whereas the Rishikesh-Kedarnath highway is clogged with debris at Agastyamuni, Fata and Ramnagar, District Disaster Management officials said.
The Rishikesh Gangtotri NH is blocked at Malla, Laldhang, Bhatukasaur and Devidhar wheras the Rishikesh-Yamunotri highway is blocked at Genwla, Ranachatti, Badia and Junglechatti, Disater Management officials here said.
The latest weather forecast for Badrinath, Kedanranth, Yamunotri, Gangotri, Hemkund sahib and the higher reaches of Pithoragarh district in Kumaon region said it would cloudy with heavy rainfall between 40-80 MM likely at a few places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read