Charge murder for dowry killings, SC tells courts
New Delhi: In the backdrop of growing number
of dowry deaths, the Supreme Court on Monday directed all courts
in the country to add the charge of murder against the accused
so that death penalty could be awarded in such heinous cases.
"We further direct all trial courts in India to
ordinarily add Section 302 (murder) to the charge of section
304B so that death sentence can be imposed in such heinous and
barbaric crimes against women," a Bench of Justices Markandeya
Katju and Gyan Sudha Mishra said in an order.
Under the exisiting provision, dowry death is registered
under Section 304B IPC entailing a maximum punishment of life
imprisonment(minimum seven years) but there is no provision
for capital punishment.
The apex court passed the order while issuing a notice
to convict Thathamsetty Suresh of Andhra Pradesh asking him
why he should not be awarded death sentence for killing his
wife and another convict Rajbir alias Raju as to why the
punishment of of life imprisonment awarded to him by the
sessions court in Rohtak, Haryana, should not be restored.
While in the case of Suresh, the sessions court had
awarded life imprisonment which was confirmed by the High
Court under Section 302 IPC, in the case of Rajbir, the charge
was under Section 304B.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had earlier reduced the
life imprisonment to 10 year. Rajbir`s mother was awarded
two years RI.
However, since Rajbir`s mother was 80 years old, the
apex court ordered her release on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks