Charges against Jundal to be framed next month
Mumbai: A local court is likely to frame charges against LeT operative and key 26/11 handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal next month in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
"The (MCOCA) court has issued production warrant against Jundal for January 9 and charges are likely to be framed on that date," said Jundal`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi.
The production warrant was issued after Jundal told the court that he wanted to talk to his lawyer before the framing of charges, Naqvi said.
Jundal was today produced in the court via video link from Tihar jail.
The special court asked Jundal if he wanted to say anything before framing of charges, his lawyer said.
At this, Jundal said that he wanted to talk to the lawyer before the charges are framed.
Meanwhile, special public prosecutor Raja Takare told the court that charges under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Explosives Act, Explosives Substance Act, Indian Penal Code and Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) were maintained against Jundal.
When the court told the official of the Tihar Jail, who also appeared via video link, to produce Jundal on January 9, he told the court that Jundal was in the custody of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate`s (CMM) court, Delhi, and he cannot be sent to Mumbai without his direction.
The jail official said that the CMM would be joining his office on January 1, after which the court issued a production warrant, said Naqvi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation