Charging capitation fee a cognisable offence: Bill in LS
New Delhi: A bill that makes charging of capitation fee by any medical or technical institute a cognisable offence and empowers police to arrest the erring administrators without warrant was introduced in the Lok Sabha Monday.
The Prohibition of Unfair Practices in Technical Educational Institutions, Medical Educational Institutions and University Bill, 2010 was introduced by HRD Minister Kapil
Sibal amid din caused by opposition members over reported scam in 2G spectrum allocation and alleged involvement of Telecom Minister A Raja in it.
Sibal also introduced in the House the Educational Tribunal Bill, 2010 that provides for setting up specialized tribunals at the Centre and the states for adjudicating
matters relating to disputes in educational institutions.
The National Accreditation Regulatory Authority Bill, 2010, seeking to set up a body to assess and accredit every institution in higher education was also introduced.
The prohibition of unfair practices bill seeks to classify malpractices into two categories. Charging capitation fee will be a cognisable offence while other offences will be treated
as non-cognisable and attract some fine.
The civil offences will be adjudicated in the educational tribunals, while the cognisable offences will be dealt by courts.
At present, the fee structure in private engineering and medical colleges is fixed by a state-level committee headed by a retired high court judge. However, there are instances of many institutes charging fee higher than that suggested by the panel.
Certain institutes demand donations for admitting students and do not issue receipts for payments made by them. They give misleading advertisements in media with intent to cheat students. They also withhold certificates and other documents of students who want to quit the institute.
Certain institutes, which promise good quality education but do not deliver it, will face penalty under this new regulation.
"Capitation fee charged by any institute will be a cognisable offence. People will be prosecuted without fear and favour," Sibal had said after the bill was cleared by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh