Chautala meets Chidambaram over Gotra issue
New Delhi: Former Haryana Chief Minister
and Indian National Lok Dal chief Om Prakash Chautala on Monday
met Home Minister P Chidambaram and asked for amendments in
the Hindu Marriage Act favouring ban on same `gotra` marriage.
"There are a lot of discussions in the media about
Khap panchayats. We are opposed to inter-caste marriage.
Indian National Lok Dal Party was the first to support it as
it is not right scientifically and medically also. Now, if
Jindal or anyone else supports it, then I am thankful to him,"
Chautala, accompanied by his party leaders, told reporters
after their meeting with the Home Minister.
Chautala, who also gave a memorandum to Chidambaram
added, "We will bring a proposal in the state Assembly
regarding this. If the government brings in an amendment bill
in this regard, we will support it. This (marriage within same
`gotra`) is not sync with Indian culture."
Notorious for their diktats prohibiting same `gotra`
marriages, the Khap panchayats or caste councils of Haryana
had got support from Congress MP from Kurukshetra Navin
Jindal, who had praised them for rendering yeoman service to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit
- SC dismisses PIL seeking ban on WhatsApp, other messaging apps
- Arvind Kejriwal accuses political parties in Goa of encouraging sex, drugs, prostitution
- Triple talaq issue to be examined on touchstone of Constitutional framework: SC
- Political parties in Goa encourage sex tourism: Kejriwal