Chavan refuses to resign over CVC issue
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan on Sunday rejected the opposition demand for his
resignation on the CVC issue, saying the appointment was not
related to the state government.
"There is no question of resigning," he told a press
conference on the eve of the Budget session of the state
Chavan said, "What the Prime Minister said over the
issue has been clarified elaborately and the Central
government will reply on the matter in the Lok Sabha. If the
opposition raises the issue in the state legislature, I will
reply to their charges. There is no question of resigning."
The opposition in the state has demanded Chavan`s
resignation and sought his apology for misleading people on
the issue of appointment of the Central Vigilance Commissioner
after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh indicated in the Rajya
Sabha last week that Chavan was responsible for shortlisting P
J Thomas for the post.
Chavan rejected the opposition charge of attempting to
scuttle the Adarsh Housing scam probe by supporting his
predecessor Ashok Chavan in Nanded recently.
"A judicial enquiry as well as a CBI probe in the case
was on. It is wrong to label anybody guilty till proven so,"
To a question safety of Jaitapur Nuclear power project in
the wake of explosion at Japan`s nuclear plant following
earthquake and tsunami, Chavan said the Department of Atomic
Energy would respond to the safety issues. "Konkan lies in
Seismic Zone-III. All decisions are taken on the basis of
safety," he added.
When asked about his government`s plans to ban Sanathan
Sanstha, allegedly involved in bomb blasts in Thane and Goa,
Chavan said, "If any organisation breaks laws, firm action
will be taken."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed