Chavan seeks powers for requisitioning aircraft
New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan on Monday sought powers of requisitioning aircraft in case of emergency situations for its anti-terror "Force One" created in the aftermath of 26/11 attacks.
Speaking at the Chief Ministers Conference here, Chavan stressed for laying great emphasis on intelligence gathering mechanism and also batted for creation of a National Counter Terrorism Centre.
He said for smooth movement within the state of the "Force One", an anti-terror force created in the aftermath of terror strike of 2008, the Centre may consider delegating powers of requisition of aircraft in emergency situations.
At present, the powers of requisition of aircraft was vested with the elite National Security Guards.
"The current security environment posses major challenges. Terrorism -- a threat to national security -- is changing its contours continuously," Chavan said advocating an intelligence-driven counter terrorism strategy.
He also informed that the state government has also set up Maharashtra Guptavarta Vikas Prabhodini (intelligence academy) in Pune.
Advocating setting up of NCTC, the Chief Minister said it would be a significant step in strengthening the country`s counter-terrorism capability. "Terrorists do not respect territorial boundaries and response, therefore, has to be coordinated and effective," he said.
The Chief Minister said that Fake Indian Currency Notes (FICN) menace was targeting the state and added it could not be fought without active coordination and cooperation of all states and the Centre.
"The launching pads for FICN distribution need to be plugged to deal a blow to this form of economic terror," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says