Check veracity of EIA reports: Green Tribunal to Govt
New Delhi: Concerned over "lapses" committed by project developers in preparation of Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) reports, the National Green Tribunal has suggested that the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) evolve a mechanism to check their veracity.
A bench headed by Justice C V Ramulu said "the MoEF shall evolve a mechanism to check the correctness or otherwise, of the draft EIA prepared by the project proponent in consonance with the Terms of Reference (ToR) awarded by Environment Appraisal Committee" and said the situation is not likely to improve "unless and until" the MoEF takes steps in this regard.
All project developers are required to prepare a draft EIA reports indicating the project`s impact on environment as per the terms of reference set out by the MoEF. After the public hearing is conducted, a final report is prepared and submit to the MoEF for seeking clearances.
The Tribunal suggested that the MoEF should evaluate the draft EIA and may place the same on its website for the information of the general public before the public hearing for the project is conducted.
It said the MoEF should reject the draft report prepared by the project proponent if the same is not in consonance with the terms of reference awarded and a fresh report should be sought in such cases.
It also said that after the public hearing is conducted and final EIA report is submitted, the MoEF may again evaluate the same taking care that no "drastic variation" are there between the draft and the final EIA reports.
The Tribunal made the suggestions while dismissing a plea challenging the environment clearance granted to a 97,000 tonnes per annum steel melting shop and a 65 MW power plant developed by Salasar Steel and Power Ltd in Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh.
"The appeal is devoid of merits and liable to be dismissed. However, we cannot ignore certain lapses being committed by the authorities and the project proponent in the preparation of the draft EIA and final EIA reports.
"Therefore we are of the considered opinion that unless and until the MoEF (the rule making authority) takes steps to follow the suggestions....The situation may not improve," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon