Chhatisgarh Naxal attack: Shukla is `critical but stable`, say doctors
Gurgaon: Congress leader VC Shukla, critically injured in the Maoists attack on party leaders in Chhattisgarh the day before, is "critical but stable", doctors attending on him here said on Sunday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi visited the wounded leader in hospital.
"He is critical but stable," Medanta Medicity medical superintendent AK Dubey told a news agency.
Shukla, 84, a former union minister, received multiple bullet injuries and lost a lot of blood in the attack on the Congress leaders` convoy in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar region on Saturday.
"Shukla was flown in an air ambulance around 8.15 today (Sunday) morning to Delhi. A multi-disciplinary team of doctors is treating him," Dubey said.
The Prime Minister, Sonia Gandhi, Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit visited Shukla in hospital.
Advani told reporters outside hospital that though Shukla was not in a condition to talk, his vital parameters indicated that he was stable.
"I felt relieved after seeing him... doctors have said that all that needs to be done is being done," he said.
Shukla belongs to an old Congress family, and his father Ravishankar Shukla was the first chief minister of reorganised Madhya Pradesh. VC Shukla was inducted into the Union Cabinet in 1966 by then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
The Maoists attacked the Congress party convoy at around 5.15 pm on Saturday, police said.
The convoy, returning from the party`s Parivartan Yatra (transformation rally), was targeted near Darbha forest in Jagdalpur, about 340 km south of state capital Raipur.
Chhattisgarh is headed for Assembly Elections later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof