Chhattisgarh safest place for women in the country: Swaraj
Raipur: The BJP-ruled Chhattisgarh was the "safest place for women" in the country, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Saturday.
"Incidents of rape of children and women were reported from other places, but one hears little of such incidents in Chhattisgarh, except a few cases in which strong action is being taken," Swaraj said, addressing a function to mark the International Women`s Day here.
Chhattisgarh was a leader among the rapidly developing states, and at the same time it had also ensured a safe and secure environment for women, she said.
She hailed the state government`s decision to hand over management of Public Distribution System to women. "It was a great decision to involve women in PDS and therefore it had achieved success...Today it is being followed by the other states," she said.
Paying tribute to the Constitution makers, she said, "In European countries, women fought for right to vote but I am thankful to makers of our constitution who have given voting rights to women, considering them equal to men from the time the electoral process began in the country."
"Even a developed country like USA has not had a woman president yet, but India had. We have had woman Prime Minister, Chief Ministers, Lok Sabha Speaker and the Leader of Opposition as well," the senior BJP leader said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case