Chhattisgarh safest place for women in the country: Swaraj
Raipur: The BJP-ruled Chhattisgarh was the "safest place for women" in the country, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Saturday.
"Incidents of rape of children and women were reported from other places, but one hears little of such incidents in Chhattisgarh, except a few cases in which strong action is being taken," Swaraj said, addressing a function to mark the International Women`s Day here.
Chhattisgarh was a leader among the rapidly developing states, and at the same time it had also ensured a safe and secure environment for women, she said.
She hailed the state government`s decision to hand over management of Public Distribution System to women. "It was a great decision to involve women in PDS and therefore it had achieved success...Today it is being followed by the other states," she said.
Paying tribute to the Constitution makers, she said, "In European countries, women fought for right to vote but I am thankful to makers of our constitution who have given voting rights to women, considering them equal to men from the time the electoral process began in the country."
"Even a developed country like USA has not had a woman president yet, but India had. We have had woman Prime Minister, Chief Ministers, Lok Sabha Speaker and the Leader of Opposition as well," the senior BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you