Chhattisgarh safest place for women in the country: Swaraj
Raipur: The BJP-ruled Chhattisgarh was the "safest place for women" in the country, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Saturday.
"Incidents of rape of children and women were reported from other places, but one hears little of such incidents in Chhattisgarh, except a few cases in which strong action is being taken," Swaraj said, addressing a function to mark the International Women`s Day here.
Chhattisgarh was a leader among the rapidly developing states, and at the same time it had also ensured a safe and secure environment for women, she said.
She hailed the state government`s decision to hand over management of Public Distribution System to women. "It was a great decision to involve women in PDS and therefore it had achieved success...Today it is being followed by the other states," she said.
Paying tribute to the Constitution makers, she said, "In European countries, women fought for right to vote but I am thankful to makers of our constitution who have given voting rights to women, considering them equal to men from the time the electoral process began in the country."
"Even a developed country like USA has not had a woman president yet, but India had. We have had woman Prime Minister, Chief Ministers, Lok Sabha Speaker and the Leader of Opposition as well," the senior BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28