Chhattisgarh safest place for women in the country: Swaraj
Raipur: The BJP-ruled Chhattisgarh was the "safest place for women" in the country, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Saturday.
"Incidents of rape of children and women were reported from other places, but one hears little of such incidents in Chhattisgarh, except a few cases in which strong action is being taken," Swaraj said, addressing a function to mark the International Women`s Day here.
Chhattisgarh was a leader among the rapidly developing states, and at the same time it had also ensured a safe and secure environment for women, she said.
She hailed the state government`s decision to hand over management of Public Distribution System to women. "It was a great decision to involve women in PDS and therefore it had achieved success...Today it is being followed by the other states," she said.
Paying tribute to the Constitution makers, she said, "In European countries, women fought for right to vote but I am thankful to makers of our constitution who have given voting rights to women, considering them equal to men from the time the electoral process began in the country."
"Even a developed country like USA has not had a woman president yet, but India had. We have had woman Prime Minister, Chief Ministers, Lok Sabha Speaker and the Leader of Opposition as well," the senior BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations