Chhattisgarh safest place for women in the country: Swaraj
Raipur: The BJP-ruled Chhattisgarh was the "safest place for women" in the country, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said on Saturday.
"Incidents of rape of children and women were reported from other places, but one hears little of such incidents in Chhattisgarh, except a few cases in which strong action is being taken," Swaraj said, addressing a function to mark the International Women`s Day here.
Chhattisgarh was a leader among the rapidly developing states, and at the same time it had also ensured a safe and secure environment for women, she said.
She hailed the state government`s decision to hand over management of Public Distribution System to women. "It was a great decision to involve women in PDS and therefore it had achieved success...Today it is being followed by the other states," she said.
Paying tribute to the Constitution makers, she said, "In European countries, women fought for right to vote but I am thankful to makers of our constitution who have given voting rights to women, considering them equal to men from the time the electoral process began in the country."
"Even a developed country like USA has not had a woman president yet, but India had. We have had woman Prime Minister, Chief Ministers, Lok Sabha Speaker and the Leader of Opposition as well," the senior BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog