Chhota Rajan linked man claims to have killed media tycoon
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, February 08, 2010, 20:33
Kathmandu: A gangster who hails from Delhi and had links with underworld don Chhota Rajan on Monday claimed to have murdered the controversial Nepalese media tycoon Jamim Shah for his "anti-India activities", even as police has arrested 20 people in the case.

Shah, 47, the owner of Space Time Television Network and Space Time daily newspaper, was shot dead by a gang of two unidentified persons in Kathmandu, close to the Indian embassy yesterday.

Avenues Television, a private TV channel claimed that it received a call from a man Bharat Nepali who reportedly hails from Delhi.

Nepali who hails from Delhi had split from the gang of Chhota Rajan last year to start his own, claimed that he had murdered Shah, who is alleged to have links with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Pakistani intelligence agency ISI.

Shah's family members have out rightly rejected the claims. Nepali called the TV station and owned up the murder. He reportedly told the station that Shah was murdered for his "anti-Indian activities", Republica newspaper reported.

Nepali, who faces several murder charges has been absconding in India. The police have arrested some 20 people for investigation and they are being interrogated, said Nepal Police spokesman Bigyan Raj Sharma, who also claims that they are close to a clue leading to the murder.

Regarding Nepali's hand in the murder, he said they have no such information and investigation is underway. The police said that there might hand of local or international criminal gangs in the murder.

Shah was returning home from a health club on his Pajero when he was shot at point blank by two motorcycle riders near the French Embassy in front of the five star hotel Radisson at 2.30 pm yesterday.

Shah's driver also received bullet injuries in his left leg but saved his life after being rushed to the hospital.

Shah, who received bullet shots on his chest was declared dead an hour after he was taken to the Teaching Hospital at Maharajgunj.

Nepal Media Society and Federation of Nepalese Journalists both have issuing separate statements condemned the killing and demanded stern action against the culprits.

Nepal's all major dailies gave front page banner news with photographs of Shah, who was not in news for the past 5-6 years.

Shah's family members have been staying in Watu Tole in central Kathmandu where their forefathers have been living for more than a century.

His economic conditions have deteriorated since attack on his media house during the riots suffered by Nepal in 2004 when 12 Nepali workers were killed by militants in Iraq.


First Published: Monday, February 08, 2010, 20:33

comments powered by Disqus