Chhota Rajan ordered Dey’s killing: Police
Mumbai: The Mumbai Police on Monday confirmed that underworld don Chhota Rajan was behind the murder of investigating journalist Jyotirmoy Dey.
Addressing a packed press conference here, Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik said the Crime Branch has cracked the case and arrested all the seven shooters involved in the murder.
The Mumbai Police had earlier in the day identified five of the seven accused as Rupesh Tangapani alias Satish Kaliya, Anil Waghmode, Arun Dhake, Sachin Gaikwad and Mangesh Bagap.
All seven, who were arrested in Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu late on Sunday, were produced before a local court today and remanded to police custody till July 04.
Himanshu Roy, Joint CP, Mumbai Police, told reporters that Satish Kaliya, 34, was the main shooter of the gang who organised the killing.
Roy said during the interrogation of the accused, it came to light that Chhota Rajan contacted Kaliya about 20 days before the murder on June 11. Rajan had then told Kaliya about a job that needed to be done, but didn’t tell him who was the target.
Rajan gave Kaliya the murder weapon, a .32 bore revolver of US make and rounds from Czech Republic. In addition, he also provided them Rs 2 lakh.
According to Roy, after collecting the money and weapon from Chembur and Kathgodam respectively, Kaliya then contacted Anil Waghmode who in turn then contacted the other five men.
After the seven-member team was in place, Rajan on June 06 called up Kaliya and gave him a description of the target and also provided the number of the motorcycle. He informed Kaliya that the target could be found either near Peninsula Centre (where the office of Mid-Day – Dey’s employer – was located) and the Hiranandani Complex.
The members of the gang then did a recce on June 07 and 08 and located the target but decided against carrying out the murder at Peninsula Centre as it was too crowded. On June 09 and 10, they searched for the target around Hiranandani Complex on three motorcycles and a Toyota Qualis but couldn’t locate him. However, on June 11 one team spotted the Dey near the Complex and started following him. Kaliya finally opened five rounds at Dey near Crisil House in suburban Powai. One of the bullets pierced Dey’s heart leading to his death.
Roy said it was noteworthy that even at this point of time the gang had no idea who was the target. They only came to know about him at night through TV reports when all seven of them gathered at a pre-decided place in Jogeshwari.
Kaliya then contacted Chhota Rajan and asked why they weren’t told about who the target was. To comfort the gang the underworld don offered them Rs 3 lakh more.
After collecting the extra money, two of the members stayed in Mumbai while rest of the five visited several temple towns in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
After receiving information, the Mumbai Police carried out raids and picked up gang members from Rameswaram, Solapur and Mumbai.
Roy told the press conference that they have recovered the main weapon used in the killing, the three motorcycles, the Qualis and Rs 20,000 in cash.
The killing of Dey, who worked for the Mumbai tabloid Mid-Day and specialised in the underworld, sparked days of demonstrations by journalists, putting pressure on the government to act. The Mumbai Police had set up several teams to track down the killers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!