Chidamabaram`s statement creates bad blood in UPA
Kolkata: P Chidamabaram`s statement that intra-party clashes in the last 6 months in West Bengal was a matter of concern, led between UPA partner Trinamool Congress today to claim that it was a `conspiracy` ahead of the Presidential polls, while ally Congress agreed that the Union Home minister was right.
"There is a conspiracy against the Trinamool Congress prior to the Presidential election and Chidambaram`s statement is backed by motivation," state panchayat minister and senior Trinamool Congress leader Subrata Mukherjee told reporters.
"Chidambaram is used to making such statements. He should have been careful in making such statements and should have ascertained facts," Mukherjee said at the media centre in the assembly premises.
On the other hand, agreeing with Chidambaram, senior Congress leader Abdul Mannan said "West Bengal now accounts for 12 per cent of the total crime committed in the country. The crime rate is on the rise in the state."
Alleging that there was not much change in the state after `parivartan` (change) was ushered in last year, Mannan, in an oblique reference to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, said, "she has been speaking against the Centre because of frustration that her master stroke against the Congress leadership on the presidential election failed."
He also pointed out that Chidamabaram had said yesterday that Pranab Mukherjee was sure to get 65 per cent votes in the Presidential election without Trinamool Congress support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days