Chidambaram asks people to have a ‘broader’ thinking
Madurai: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said people should start thinking about what was good for the country and people with a "broader" outlook than thinking "narrowly" as to what was good for one`s own state, panchayat, community and religion.
Speaking at the 110th birthday celebrations of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Kamaraj here, he said "when it comes to between the state and country, one should think about what is good for the country and what is good for the welfare of the people, apparently referring to issues including river water disputes, raised by certain states.
"That is what Kamaraj, who made two Prime Ministers and two Presidents of the country did. Such was his greatness and broad mindedness", Chidambaam said.
"At least Congressmen should think like that. They should not fall a prey to parochial attitude. We should not have a narrow attitude and remain within a circle. We should have a broad outlook and attitude" he said.
"If everybody started thinking only about their own state only, panchayat, community and religion, then what would happen to india", he asked.
"There is nothing wrong to love one`s state and district and even religion. But when it comes to what is first...Country should be first in the mind " he said.
Kamaraj had a long political career and he was a colossus personality in Indian politics like Rajaji and other great leaders of the nation, he said.
Speaking on the occasion, Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan said the election of Pranab Mukherjee as the President had proved the strength of Congress in the country.
The opposition BJP could not even come up with a candidate for contesting in the President election. They had to back the candidate chosen by some regional parties.
"The victory in president`s elections is the base for the future victory of the Congress in the next Parliament elections" he said.
He said Congress would not give up Tamil Nadu`s right over the Mullaiperiyar dam and other river water disputes.It would fight for protecting the welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils and Tamil fishermen, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons