Chidambaram concerned over use of drugs by students
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram
Thursday concern over usage of drugs in rave parties and educational institutions, saying India has turned into a big market of narcotics.
"Drugs are sold to students of many colleges and
schools. This is as big as any internal security problem," he
said addressing the Silver Jubilee function of Narcotics
Chidambaram said every study and research has
indicated that many students have experimented with drugs and
drugs trafficking has increased immensely.
"The use of cocaine and other drugs and drugs
trafficking have increased in last five years. This is a
reflection of our inadequate response on this," he said.
The Home Minister said scores of big rave parties were
organised all over the country in recent time in which drugs
have been used.
Chidambaram said India is located in between two
countries which are large producers of narcotics and anything
which is going to the golden triangle and golden crescent is
going through India, resulting in India itself becoming a big
market of these drugs.
"The problem is only becoming worse in the last few
years. We need to wake up and use our resources to curb this
menace," he said.
The Home Minister said the NCB is "hopelessly"
understaffed and the government was taking urgent steps to
augment the NCB staff strength.
"Two years ago we had 421 officials. The strength has
doubled in two years. I expect to double it in next two years
and double of that in the two years after that," he said.
He also said like India, the United States too is
facing a very big challenge of drug trafficking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!