Chidambaram confirms arrest of Abu Jindal
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram today confirmed the arrest of Lashker-e-Taiba terrorist and 26/11 accused Sayed Zabiuddin alias Abu Jindal.
"The person who goes by the pseudonym of Abu Jindal has been apprehended and has been remanded to the custody of law enforcement agencies", he told reporters here.
Home Ministry officials, however, refused to confirm or deny the reports that Jindal, who was arrested on June 21 when he arrived in India, was deported from a Gulf country.
Jindal, who hails from Georai area of Beed district in Maharashtra, was the Hindi tutor of 10 terrorists who carried out the audacious attack in Mumbai in 2008.
India had also secured an Interpol Red Corner notice against him in which he was accused of crimes involving the use of weapons, explosives and terrorism.
With his arrest, the mysterious voice recorded during the conversation between 10 Lashker terrorists and their handlers in Pakistan has been identified, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video