Chidambaram confirms arrest of Abu Jindal
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram today confirmed the arrest of Lashker-e-Taiba terrorist and 26/11 accused Sayed Zabiuddin alias Abu Jindal.
"The person who goes by the pseudonym of Abu Jindal has been apprehended and has been remanded to the custody of law enforcement agencies", he told reporters here.
Home Ministry officials, however, refused to confirm or deny the reports that Jindal, who was arrested on June 21 when he arrived in India, was deported from a Gulf country.
Jindal, who hails from Georai area of Beed district in Maharashtra, was the Hindi tutor of 10 terrorists who carried out the audacious attack in Mumbai in 2008.
India had also secured an Interpol Red Corner notice against him in which he was accused of crimes involving the use of weapons, explosives and terrorism.
With his arrest, the mysterious voice recorded during the conversation between 10 Lashker terrorists and their handlers in Pakistan has been identified, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post