Chidambaram confirms arrest of Abu Jindal
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram today confirmed the arrest of Lashker-e-Taiba terrorist and 26/11 accused Sayed Zabiuddin alias Abu Jindal.
"The person who goes by the pseudonym of Abu Jindal has been apprehended and has been remanded to the custody of law enforcement agencies", he told reporters here.
Home Ministry officials, however, refused to confirm or deny the reports that Jindal, who was arrested on June 21 when he arrived in India, was deported from a Gulf country.
Jindal, who hails from Georai area of Beed district in Maharashtra, was the Hindi tutor of 10 terrorists who carried out the audacious attack in Mumbai in 2008.
India had also secured an Interpol Red Corner notice against him in which he was accused of crimes involving the use of weapons, explosives and terrorism.
With his arrest, the mysterious voice recorded during the conversation between 10 Lashker terrorists and their handlers in Pakistan has been identified, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire