Chidambaram dismisses Jaitley charge on CBI autonomy as `premature`
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Monday dismissed as "completely premature and ill-advised" the charge by BJP leader Arun Jaitley that the Cabinet`s decision on greater autonomy for CBI is "facical" and a remedy "worse" than the problem.
Expressing surprise at the statement, Chidambaram said he should have waited for the Centre`s affidavit to be filed in the Supreme Court on July 3 before using such "strong" words like "farcical" on the government`s action in this regard.
Without getting into the contents of the affidavit to be filed in the Court, he made it clear that the government before granting autonomy to CBI intended to bring the issue in the form of a Bill in Parliament and that it is "not doing anything by bypassing Parliament".
"I am totally surprised by that statement. I think it is completely premature and ill-advised statement," Chidambaram told.
"Let the affidavit come and then you can tell us which part of the affidavit is farcical. Farce is a strong word. Which part is farcical?...Well, hard words break no bones," Chidambaram said responding to the statement by the Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha.
Jaitley, in an article, had yesterday termed the Cabinet`s decision on CBI autonomy as a "camouflage" and said it creates an `illusion` by replacing political executive with its proxy institution and asked all to oppose the move.
"The recent decision of the Union Cabinet based on GOM recommendations is a camouflage. It creates an illusion by removing the political executive and creating a proxy institution instead. The government`s decision is a remedy worse than the existing problem," Jaitley said in the article.
Chidambaram said the affidavit to be filed in the court sets out the intentions of the government on what it plans to do on the issue.3
"But we have made it very clear that it has to eventually become a Bill. It has to go to Parliament. It has to go through a Parliamentary Standing Committee. It has to come back to Parliament and only Parliament can amend the law.
"I`m sure, Mr Jaitley and his friends will continue to remain in Parliament when the Bill comes up and they can make their suggestions there. We are not doing anything by bypassing Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!