Chidambaram, Dy Chairman spar in RS; House stalled for an hour
New Delhi: In an unusual episode, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien sparred in the Rajya Sabha over procedures, triggering commotion which led to stalling of the House for nearly an hour.
The row began at noon when Kurien called Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley to speak on the situation in Kishtwar area of Jammu and Kashmir which witnessed violence last week.
Kurien called Jaitley after strong demand by BJP members earlier that he should be allowed to speak on the issue, particularly since he was not allowed to proceed to Kishtwar yesterday.
Meanwhile, Chidambaram said he wanted to make a statement on the issue and insisted that he should be allowed first.
Kurien, however, said he had already asked Jaitley to speak and the Finance Minister could make the statement after him.
He told Chidambaram that if had to make a statement, he should have intimated in advance.
At this Chidambaram remonstrated, saying, "This is a completely new practice. I must record by respectful protest."
Chidambaram`s party colleagues including Ahmed Patel, Ambika Soni and Satyavrat Chaturvedi backed him, asking the Chair to allow the government to make a statement on the issue first.
However, Kurien stuck to his guns, saying, "When I came here, I allowed the LoP. I had no intimation from Government. You should have intimated. I have allowed LoP. I stand by it."
Chidambaram, backed by his party colleagues, continued to express protest over the Chair`s decision.
On the other hand, BJP members protested against the ruling party`s objections to the Chair`s decision.
This led to an uproar, prompting Kurien to adjourn the House for half an hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- LIVE: `Congress-mukt` Maharashtra sees Shiv Sena retaining BMC, BJP leading in 7 cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway