Chidambaram favours downsizing Planning Commission
New Delhi: Former Finance Minister P Chidambaram today favoured downsizing of the Planning Commission amid reports that Narendra Modi government is likely to dismantle or at least drastically reduce the over-arching role of the plan body.
"My personal view is that the Planning Commission should be a much more limited body tasked with drawing up prospective plans. At the moment it is too big, flabby and unwieldy," Chidambaram, who is also senior spokesperson of Congress, said at the AICC briefing.
He made the remarks while responding to a question about the new government`s plan to prune the Planning Commission.
Reports had it that the new government views that the Planning Commission is only adding to red tape and is essentially a creature of the old `Licence Raj` and hence serves no useful purpose in the current liberalised economic scene.
Even former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in his farewell speech, had called for a review of the planning body`s role in an increasingly open economy.
Ever since it was set up in 1950 by a Cabinet resolution to coordinate and allocate the government`s resources efficiently, the Commission was often attacked as a bunch of "arm-chair advisors" who failed to capture the pulse of ground realities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year