Chidambaram hits out, says Modi wants TADA, POTA
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Slamming Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his attack on the Centre, Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday noted that terrorism is too serious a matter to be dealt with lightly.
Speaking on the sidelines of Chief Ministers’ conference on internal security here, the former home minister said that no Congress Chief Minister has opposed the formation of National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
The NDA-ruled states have even opposed the watered-down version of the project.
“If they oppose even this form of NCTC, the country will pay for it,” warned Chidambaram.
Chidambaram further commented on the Gujarat CM’s demand for a white paper on security, saying, “There is a monthly account of what the Home Ministry is doing. That is one half of the white paper Modi is asking for.”
He further lashed out at Modi for claiming that the Centre is not bringing an anti-terrorism law, saying, “Modi is asking for anti-terror law instead of anti-match-fixing. Why doesn’t he just say he wants POTA and TADA too?”
“The BJP can candidly say they want POTA back and we will candidly oppose it,” Chidambaram added.
The Finance Minister also pointed out that Modi had earlier opposed the creation of a Multi-Agency Centre but now wants it back.
The Minister also commented on the BJP’s by-poll victory in Gujarat, asking: “Modi may have won Gujarat by-polls, but with what kind of candidates? One is a Congress defector.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar