Chidambaram not afraid of JPC probe on 2G: Renuka
New Delhi: Congress Party spokesperson Renuka Chaudhry on Thursday said Finance Minister P Chidambaram was not afraid of appearing before the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) looking into various aspects of the 2G telecom scam.
Reacting to the demand of political parties that Chidambaram appear as a witness in the JPC on the 2G issue, Chaudhry said: "Chidambaram is not afraid of this."
Chaudhry`s comment came shortly after UPA-II key ally, the Samajwadi Party, said that Chidambaram should testify before a joint parliamentary committee that`s studying the allocation of 2G spectrum during the period from 1999 to 2009.
That has so far been ruled out by the committee’s head, PC Chacko, who belongs to the Congress.
"This is the predicament of the chairman of a parliamentary committee. Political parties try to score brownie points. They know very well, under the rules, we cannot call the PM or a minister," said Chacko.
He said that he had written to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, seeking her advice on whether Chidambaram can be summoned by the panel as a witness.
Sources said Chidambaram is open to the idea of appearing before the panel.
The committee was set up as a corollary of the telecom scam, worth Rs 1.76 lakh crores according to the national auditor. Today`s meeting of the committee was boycotted by the opposition BJP, and saw Left and Samajwadi Party parliamentarians pressing for Chidambaram`s appearance. Mulayam Singh Yadav, who heads the Samajwadi Party (SP), is propping up the government, which is in a minority since last month.
The opposition BJP has been boycotting meetings of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) that`s dissecting the telecom scam because it wants the Prime Minister and Chidambaram to explain to the panel`s 30 members how it was executed on their watch in 2008.
With Chacko indicating that`s not possible, the BJP`s six members skipped today`s session.
There was another flashpoint at today`s meeting. Gurudas Dasgupta of the CPI was present today but left the meeting mid-way because he said Congress member Shashi Tharoor intervened to help an official who was being questioned by him, which violates protocol.
In 2008, the telecom minister was A Raja of the DMK, a senior member of the Prime Minister`s coalition. He was arrested and is now on trial for conspiring with different companies to help them get out-of-turn licenses for mobile networks. More than 120 of those licenses were cancelled by the Supreme Court earlier this year, which ordered that they must be awarded through a new auction process.
Today, the six BJP members on the parliamentary committee including Yashwant Sinha and Jaswant Singh, did not attend the meeting. Explaining why, Sinha sent a strongly-worded letter to Chacko accusing him of acting in ``autocratic`` and ``non-democratic`` manner.
Sinha wrote:"The Committee must record the evidence of the Prime Minister and the finance minister. Their appearance in view of their role in the decision making process is absolutely necessary" to address questions which "they and they alone can answer".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe