Chidambaram orders release of four Pak prisoners
New Delhi: In a goodwill gesture ahead of his visit to Pakistan, Home Minister P Chidambaram Friday ordered the release of four Pakistani prisoners lodged in various jails in Gujarat.
"Chidambaram has approved the release of four Pakistani prisoners as a gesture of goodwill. They are currently lodged in various jails in Gujarat," a statement
released by the Home Ministry said.
It said the prisoners will be repatriated from the Attari border on June 30 and will be handed over to Pakistan Rangers.
Chidambaram`s two-day visit beginning today is the first ministerial visit from India to Pakistan since the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
He is expected to press for a probe against LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and seek voice samples of handlers of Mumbai attackers.
Chidambaram, who is visiting Pakistan primarily for the SAARC Interior Minister`s Conference on Saturday, is expected to have bilateral meeting with Pakistan Interior
Minister Rehman Malik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA