Chidambaram orders release of four Pak prisoners
New Delhi: In a goodwill gesture ahead of his visit to Pakistan, Home Minister P Chidambaram Friday ordered the release of four Pakistani prisoners lodged in various jails in Gujarat.
"Chidambaram has approved the release of four Pakistani prisoners as a gesture of goodwill. They are currently lodged in various jails in Gujarat," a statement
released by the Home Ministry said.
It said the prisoners will be repatriated from the Attari border on June 30 and will be handed over to Pakistan Rangers.
Chidambaram`s two-day visit beginning today is the first ministerial visit from India to Pakistan since the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
He is expected to press for a probe against LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and seek voice samples of handlers of Mumbai attackers.
Chidambaram, who is visiting Pakistan primarily for the SAARC Interior Minister`s Conference on Saturday, is expected to have bilateral meeting with Pakistan Interior
Minister Rehman Malik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened