Chidambaram orders release of four Pak prisoners
New Delhi: In a goodwill gesture ahead of his visit to Pakistan, Home Minister P Chidambaram Friday ordered the release of four Pakistani prisoners lodged in various jails in Gujarat.
"Chidambaram has approved the release of four Pakistani prisoners as a gesture of goodwill. They are currently lodged in various jails in Gujarat," a statement
released by the Home Ministry said.
It said the prisoners will be repatriated from the Attari border on June 30 and will be handed over to Pakistan Rangers.
Chidambaram`s two-day visit beginning today is the first ministerial visit from India to Pakistan since the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
He is expected to press for a probe against LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and seek voice samples of handlers of Mumbai attackers.
Chidambaram, who is visiting Pakistan primarily for the SAARC Interior Minister`s Conference on Saturday, is expected to have bilateral meeting with Pakistan Interior
Minister Rehman Malik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi