Chidambaram plays down Indian flag flip-flop
Islamabad: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday said that the upside down display of the Indian flag during his meeting with Pakistani counterpart Rehman Malik is a minor issue, and added that the flag was put right after the fault was pointed out.
Chidambaram is the first Indian Home Minister to visit Pakistan in three decades. He met Malik at the Interior Ministry in Islamabad, where he was accorded a red carpet welcome and given a ceremonial Guard of Honour on Friday.
“Visuals in one of the channel showed that the Indian flag had been upside down when there was one-on-one meeting between me and Rehman Malik. That was the first visual, but immediately after we sat down I noticed the error and skewed the flag mast and it was put right,” Chidambaram said.
“I think if you also show the visuals of delegation joining, flag was flying right. I think it’s a minor mistake and I don’t think we should make much of it. The flag was put right I therefore request the channel to show the second visuals taken when the delegations were meeting,” he added.
Chidambaram arrived here on Friday to attend the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Home Ministers’ Conference.
In a special gesture, Malik went to the Chaklala Air Base in Rawalpindi and personally received Chidambaram on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya