Chidambaram to visit clash-hit West Bengal area
Burdwan (WB): Union Home Minister P Chidambaram will visit Mangalkote in Burdwan district on Saturday which had witnessed clashes between activists of Trinamool Congress and CPI(M), during his two-day schedule in the state.
Officials here were tight-lipped about the villages to be visited by Chidambaram as also whom he would meet.
Chidambaram`s visit to Mangalkot, which had witnessed recurring violence in August and December last year comes after Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee met him in Delhi on March 31.
Banerjee had alleged to Chidambaram that the marxists were attacking Trinamool Congress workers.
CPI(M) Central Committee member Md Selim said, "We will watch what he observes and states. Let him first go, then we will give our reaction."
Senior Trinamool Congress leader Partha Chatterjee said the party has been demanding for long that Central ministers visit the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter