Chidambaram visits homes being built for Kashmiri migrants
Jammu: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday visited a satellite township in Jammu being constructed for Kashmiri Pandit migrants and asked officials to get the township ready at the earliest.
After his arrival here on a day`s visit, Chidambaram visited Jagti, a township which will house about 2,000 migrant families. He was accompanied by Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand and Revenue and Relief Minister Raman Bhalla.
"We must fulfil our commitment toward them (migrants)," the Home Minister told officials.
Chidambaram is to also review the security situation in the state, following the killing of policemen on the streets and the mounting presence of militants in the hilly areas and fresh infiltration bids.
This is the Home Minister`s second visit to the state in less than a month. His visit comes in the backdrop of raging anger over his ministry`s decision to ban pre-paid mobile connections, affecting 3.8 million subscribers in the state.
The pre-paid connections are not being renewed from November 1, nor are new connections being given. The home ministry has cited security reasons for the move.
Political leaders in the state have criticised the ban.
Union Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah has claimed the "ban on pre-paid is temporary". He has assured the people that it would be lifted soon.
He has already spoken to Chidambaram, who is to also attend the wedding of state Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda`s daughter before returning to Delhi Wednesday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena