Chidambaram visits homes being built for Kashmiri migrants
Jammu: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday visited a satellite township in Jammu being constructed for Kashmiri Pandit migrants and asked officials to get the township ready at the earliest.
After his arrival here on a day`s visit, Chidambaram visited Jagti, a township which will house about 2,000 migrant families. He was accompanied by Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand and Revenue and Relief Minister Raman Bhalla.
"We must fulfil our commitment toward them (migrants)," the Home Minister told officials.
Chidambaram is to also review the security situation in the state, following the killing of policemen on the streets and the mounting presence of militants in the hilly areas and fresh infiltration bids.
This is the Home Minister`s second visit to the state in less than a month. His visit comes in the backdrop of raging anger over his ministry`s decision to ban pre-paid mobile connections, affecting 3.8 million subscribers in the state.
The pre-paid connections are not being renewed from November 1, nor are new connections being given. The home ministry has cited security reasons for the move.
Political leaders in the state have criticised the ban.
Union Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah has claimed the "ban on pre-paid is temporary". He has assured the people that it would be lifted soon.
He has already spoken to Chidambaram, who is to also attend the wedding of state Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda`s daughter before returning to Delhi Wednesday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened