Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia bids adieu
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia, who delivered several landmark verdicts including on appointment of CVC chief, Friday bid adieu on his last working day at the Supreme Court.
Known for his integrity, hard work and judicial reticence, 65-year-old Justice Kapadia was part of the bench that gave its opinion on Presidential Reference on allocation of natural resources yesterday, holding that auction is not the only route for giving them away.
An expert on tax laws, Justice Kapadia, who completes 22 years of judicial career, had a word of advice for judges asking them to be objective and professional.
At a farewell function for him at the Supreme Court premises, he received accolades from the Chief Justice- designate Altamas Kabir who described him as a man full of wisdom, self-imposed discipline and loved by many people as he stood by what he decided and is a true replica of Abraham Lincoln.
Justice Kabir recalled that once Justice Kapadia said "integrity is his only asset". He said that can be the catchline but he had qualities which were much more than integrity as a judge.
Justice Kapadia, who is to demit office tomorrow, pronounced several path-breaking verdicts during his nine year tenure as a judge and as CJI.
Among them are upholding the right to education act, evolving doctrine of postponement for media reporting, Vodafone tax case, interlinking of rivers, CBI probe in the Karnataka mining scam and quashing the appointment of PJ Thomas as CVC chief.
He gave a very strong dissenting verdict on Lalu Yadav`s disproportionate case in which he held that the Bihar government`s plea against acquittal of RJD chief was maintainable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot