Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia bids adieu
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia, who delivered several landmark verdicts including on appointment of CVC chief, Friday bid adieu on his last working day at the Supreme Court.
Known for his integrity, hard work and judicial reticence, 65-year-old Justice Kapadia was part of the bench that gave its opinion on Presidential Reference on allocation of natural resources yesterday, holding that auction is not the only route for giving them away.
An expert on tax laws, Justice Kapadia, who completes 22 years of judicial career, had a word of advice for judges asking them to be objective and professional.
At a farewell function for him at the Supreme Court premises, he received accolades from the Chief Justice- designate Altamas Kabir who described him as a man full of wisdom, self-imposed discipline and loved by many people as he stood by what he decided and is a true replica of Abraham Lincoln.
Justice Kabir recalled that once Justice Kapadia said "integrity is his only asset". He said that can be the catchline but he had qualities which were much more than integrity as a judge.
Justice Kapadia, who is to demit office tomorrow, pronounced several path-breaking verdicts during his nine year tenure as a judge and as CJI.
Among them are upholding the right to education act, evolving doctrine of postponement for media reporting, Vodafone tax case, interlinking of rivers, CBI probe in the Karnataka mining scam and quashing the appointment of PJ Thomas as CVC chief.
He gave a very strong dissenting verdict on Lalu Yadav`s disproportionate case in which he held that the Bihar government`s plea against acquittal of RJD chief was maintainable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe