Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia bids adieu
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia, who delivered several landmark verdicts including on appointment of CVC chief, Friday bid adieu on his last working day at the Supreme Court.
Known for his integrity, hard work and judicial reticence, 65-year-old Justice Kapadia was part of the bench that gave its opinion on Presidential Reference on allocation of natural resources yesterday, holding that auction is not the only route for giving them away.
An expert on tax laws, Justice Kapadia, who completes 22 years of judicial career, had a word of advice for judges asking them to be objective and professional.
At a farewell function for him at the Supreme Court premises, he received accolades from the Chief Justice- designate Altamas Kabir who described him as a man full of wisdom, self-imposed discipline and loved by many people as he stood by what he decided and is a true replica of Abraham Lincoln.
Justice Kabir recalled that once Justice Kapadia said "integrity is his only asset". He said that can be the catchline but he had qualities which were much more than integrity as a judge.
Justice Kapadia, who is to demit office tomorrow, pronounced several path-breaking verdicts during his nine year tenure as a judge and as CJI.
Among them are upholding the right to education act, evolving doctrine of postponement for media reporting, Vodafone tax case, interlinking of rivers, CBI probe in the Karnataka mining scam and quashing the appointment of PJ Thomas as CVC chief.
He gave a very strong dissenting verdict on Lalu Yadav`s disproportionate case in which he held that the Bihar government`s plea against acquittal of RJD chief was maintainable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested