Child labour rescue team attacked, four hospitalised
New Delhi: Several activists of a
city-based child rights NGO were on Thursday allegedly attacked and
severely beaten up by some people while they were trying to
rescue child labourers.
A group of "traffickers" allegedly attacked workers of
Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) with knives and iron rods in
Khureji area of east Delhi and forcibly took away some child
labourers they had rescued from there.
Four BBA workers were hospitalised with serious injuries
to stomach, head and chest, Kailash Satyarthi, founder of the
NGO, said. The attackers also threatened him with a gun.
BBA regularly gives tip-off to police and labour
department about child labourers being engaged in
manufacturing units in the city. Satyarthi said several such
incidents targeting them have occurred in recent months.
"A mob of hundreds had gathered there. Police were
accompanying us but there were only three constables and they
could do little to stop the attackers. BBA has been
responsible for rescue of more than 1200 child labourers in
Delhi and it seems that the traffickers have got united to
target is," he said.
The NGO has filed a complaint with Geeta Colony police
station, he said.
"We demand that Delhi Police should take steps to provide
security and protection to BBA activists and take stringent
action against anti-social elements who are behind repeated
attacks on us," BBA president Ramesh Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe