Child labour rescue team attacked, four hospitalised
New Delhi: Several activists of a
city-based child rights NGO were on Thursday allegedly attacked and
severely beaten up by some people while they were trying to
rescue child labourers.
A group of "traffickers" allegedly attacked workers of
Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA) with knives and iron rods in
Khureji area of east Delhi and forcibly took away some child
labourers they had rescued from there.
Four BBA workers were hospitalised with serious injuries
to stomach, head and chest, Kailash Satyarthi, founder of the
NGO, said. The attackers also threatened him with a gun.
BBA regularly gives tip-off to police and labour
department about child labourers being engaged in
manufacturing units in the city. Satyarthi said several such
incidents targeting them have occurred in recent months.
"A mob of hundreds had gathered there. Police were
accompanying us but there were only three constables and they
could do little to stop the attackers. BBA has been
responsible for rescue of more than 1200 child labourers in
Delhi and it seems that the traffickers have got united to
target is," he said.
The NGO has filed a complaint with Geeta Colony police
station, he said.
"We demand that Delhi Police should take steps to provide
security and protection to BBA activists and take stringent
action against anti-social elements who are behind repeated
attacks on us," BBA president Ramesh Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal