`Child Maoists involved in Jamui massacre`
Patna: In a shocking revelation, Bihar police claimed on Saturday that children were part of a group of Maoists who carried out the attack on a village in Jamui late on Wednesday night, in which 12 villagers were killed.
It has been known for long that Maoists recruit children as part of plans to promote their ideology, but it is probably the first time that young minds have been used to kill people. Women have already been used by Maoists in combat operations, as witnessed in the recent attack on a security camp of Eastern Frontier Rifles in West Bengal’s Silda.
According to the police, around 50 children as young as 12-13 years old were part of the 200-strong Naxal team that attacked the village and burnt 40 houses during the two-hour rampage. A woman and her child were also killed in the attack.
The attack was seen as a revenge operation by the Left wing extremists, reportedly in retaliation to the alleged killing of eight Maoists by the villagers some 15 days back.
“The incident seems to be purely out of revenge though we have no proof of these villagers killing eight Naxals,” DIG Amit Kumar had said after the attack.
This was the second biggest Maoist attack during Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s rule. In 2009, 14 persons were killed by Maoists at a village under Alauli block of Khagaria district.
Thirty-one of Bihar’s 38 districts are Maoist-affected and over 1,500 Maoists are believed to be active in major parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH