Children rehabilitation needed in Juvenile justice system: CJI
Kochi: Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Sunday stressed the need to focus on childcare and rehabilitation in the Juvenile justice system, saying people should be sensitised to do something for such children who have been marginalised.
"We need to focus on this section.These children need our prime attention. We need to sensitise ourselves to see that we do something for this part of society which has been marginalised," he said.
The CJI, who is also patron in chief of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA), said it is high time society took up their responsibility and corrects what is going on.
He suggested that such children also be adopted and provided homes.
He was speaking at a workshop after inaugurating the Additional District and Sessions court for trial of cases relating to sexual violence towards women and children here.
The CJI said he had requested Chief Justices of various High Courts to set up a court in every district where these kind of cases can be taken up, so the child can get a home and adopted parents would get a child. It works two ways, he said.
There is need to create in them a mindset that they are part of society and have a responsible role as well, he said, adding they also need to be brought to the mainstream.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said government had decided to introduce the `Kerala Privacy and dignity of women bill 2013` to protect the dignity of women. This would be tabled in the coming session of the assembly, he informed.
Admitting that conditions and facilities in juvenile homes and correction centres were not satisfactory, he said steps would be taken for their improvement.
The country had seen lot of public protest after the Delhi gang-rape incident. "We must realise that we cannot sit idle till women and children feel secure", he said.
"Kerala has a positive female population and we want the state to be known as a model state where women and children are safe", he said.
Steps are also being taken to rehabilitate victims of such cases, he said.
Minister for Social Welfare Department MK Muneer said government had plans to revamp the juvenile homes in the state within a year. There were also plans to set up a child rights commission for protection of children.
Government was also going to lay down the framework for caretakers and NGOs, he added.
Justice KM Joseph and Dr Prabha Sagar psychologist, also spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM