China asks India to ensure safety of its nationals
New Delhi: China on Friday asked India to enhance protection of its citizens in the wake of rape of a Chinese girl in the national capital.
The Chinese Embassy here also asked the Indian government to "seriously" deal with the incident and assure safety, legal rights and privacy of the victim.
"On February 7th, Indian local news reported that a Chinese woman was raped in New Delhi. Right after noticing this incident, the Chinese Embassy in India immediately verified with the relevant Indian authority and made representation to the Indian side, pointing out that the Chinese Embassy pays great attention to this case," Chinese embassy said here.
China "requests the Indian side to take it seriously, assure the safety, legal rights and privacy of the victim, appropriately handle with the case and enhance the protection of Chinese citizens in India to prevent similar incidents from happening again," the embassy said.
On its part, Ministry of External Affairs said they have asked the police authorities to strictly deal with the case.
The Chinese national, who was working as a trainee at a Gurgaon firm, alleged in her complaint that the man called her to his home on January 30 where he raped her.
In her complaint, the girl said she met Tariq Sheikh, 28, at a party sometime back. The girl alleged that she was raped by Sheikh on that night (January 30) but approached police only on Tuesday after which the accused was arrested.
Sheikh, a party organiser, was produced before a local court which sent him to 14-day judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof