`China building airstrips`; Govt says no need to worry
New Delhi: With reports suggesting that China was building over two dozen new airstrips along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), Government on Tuesday said there was no need to be "unnecessarily" worried as India was adequately strengthening itself.
"I don`t think we need to be unnecessarily alarmed. As a regional power, they (China) will strengthen their infrastructure. They will procure their arms and we are doing what we have to do for strengthening our line," Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju told reporters.
The Minister was asked to respond on reports claiming that China was building 27 airstrips along the LAC.
There is no need to be "unnecessarily worried" about what other countries are doing, Raju said, adding "as far our programmes are going smoothly and we are doing adequately to strengthen ourselves."
On the stopping of work on a link road in Ladakh region after objections by the Chinese Army, the Minister said, "I think some of the things happen when there is a difference of perception.I guess that must be the reason."
Work on the road being built under Centrally-sponsored National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS), which was to connect two villages in Demchok in South-Eastern Ladakh, was stopped during the last week of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video