`China building airstrips`; Govt says no need to worry
New Delhi: With reports suggesting that China was building over two dozen new airstrips along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), Government on Tuesday said there was no need to be "unnecessarily" worried as India was adequately strengthening itself.
"I don`t think we need to be unnecessarily alarmed. As a regional power, they (China) will strengthen their infrastructure. They will procure their arms and we are doing what we have to do for strengthening our line," Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju told reporters.
The Minister was asked to respond on reports claiming that China was building 27 airstrips along the LAC.
There is no need to be "unnecessarily worried" about what other countries are doing, Raju said, adding "as far our programmes are going smoothly and we are doing adequately to strengthen ourselves."
On the stopping of work on a link road in Ladakh region after objections by the Chinese Army, the Minister said, "I think some of the things happen when there is a difference of perception.I guess that must be the reason."
Work on the road being built under Centrally-sponsored National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS), which was to connect two villages in Demchok in South-Eastern Ladakh, was stopped during the last week of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS