China builds new road link to Pangong, patrolling intensified
Jammu: In view of repeated incursion bids by the Chinese troops, the Army has intensified patrolling along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), days after a new road link to Pangong developed by the hostile neighbour was spotted by the border patrolling team.
Reports on Thursday said that the new road link built by China was spotted on August 18 by patrolling team in KS Hill, Pangong, after which the Army decided to intensify patrolling along the LAC.
China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) has made several attempts to enter into the Indian territory, triggering tension along the international border.
On July 28, the Chinese troops intruded in Demchok in Southern Ladakh after which the Chinese military and soldiers of the Indo-Tibetan border Police (ITBP) had a verbal altercation for about half an hour. The Chinese military later withdrew.
Sometimes back it was also reported that the Chinese herdsmen had pitched tents in the Demchok area along the Line of Actual Control. They withdrew after talks between the two sides.
In view of threats emanating from expansionists China, the central government is set to launch a massive road-building exercise along the border with the neighbouring country.
The roads will be constructed along the border with China as well as in areas affected by Maoist insurgency to tackle security threats, as per reports.
To ensure the projects do not get delayed, the government has also decided to relax environment norms.
It may be recalled that after the Narendra Modi government took over in May this year, it had announced that major infrastructure projects, including road-building, along the border with Pakistan and China would be expedited.
The government has already modified rules to allow such infrastructure projects to go ahead without adhering to strict environment protection norms.
Rules have also been amended to waive off the compensatory afforestation requirement.
The relaxation in norms is set to help in development of some 6,000 kilometres of roads within 100-kilometre of the border with China.
The development holds significance in the wake of China announcing major plans to build rail network and roads along the border with India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened