China figured in talks between Singh, Medvedev: Rao
Onboard Air India One: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev discussed the rise of China and the complexities surrounding ties with Beijing.
While interacting with reporters on the Prime Minister’s Special Aircraft, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao revealed that both leaders "discussed the relationship that we (India) are developing with China, and of course, the complexities of this relationship."
"The outstanding boundary question naturally figured and efforts that are underway to seek a resolution to this issue and the complicated nature of question as it exists today," she added.
Both also talked about the Rise of China, but did not get into the details of Chinese incursions, Rao said.
China shares borders with both India and Russia, and India is extremely concerned over Beijing`s growing nexus with Pakistan.
Earlier, the Sino-India relationship had drawn world attention over the war of words that followed Chinese incursions in Ladakh and the issue of paper visas to Kashmiris.
Recently, authorities in Kashmir stopped work on a mountainous road near the border with China after objections were raised by the Chinese Army, an official said, underlining a festering row over the border.
The eight-kilometer-long road was being built in the remote Demchok area of Buddhist-dominated Ladakh area near the Line of Actual Control (LAC), a military line that divides Indian Kashmir and the part held by China.
Tensions have risen between the two countries in the last few months over reports in the Indian media about border intrusions by the Chinese Army.
The visit by the Dalai Lama to Arunachal Pradesh, which China considers to be south Tibet, has added to the mistrust between the neighbours.
The Asian giants still claim vast swathes of each other`s territory along their 3,500 kilometres (2,173 miles) long Himalayan border, which has remained largely peaceful since a border war in 1962.
Russia is also concerned over the rising Chinese influence in the Central Asian States and the changing demographic pattern in its northeastern part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum