China gets ISBA nod for mining in Indian Ocean
New Delhi: China`s application to carry out
deep sea mining and exploration activities in South-West
Indian Ocean Ridge has been approved by International Seabed
Authority, Parliament was informed on Monday.
Replying to a question in Lok Sabha on the implication of
Chinese dominance in Indian Ocean, Defence Minister A K Antony
said, "Government keeps a constant watch on all developments
concerning our national security and commercial interest and
it takes all necessary measures to safe guard them."
Antony informed Parliament that the China Ocean Mineral
Resources Research and Development Association (COMRA) has
filed its application with the International Seabed Authority
(ISBA) for Deep Sea Mining Exploration Licence and for
approval of its plan.
China has sought approval for exploring polymetallic
sulphides in South-West Indian Ocean Ridge.
"The application has been approved by the International
Seabed Authority in July 2011," the Minister said.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju,
replying to a question on security implications of import from
China, said government has advised Bharat Electronics Limited
(BEL) to ensure that components of encryption products
manufactured by it are not imported from China.
"Government has taken cognizance of security implications
of import of electronic components from China, especially
while manufacturing encryption products," Raju said.
Raju said, "BEL, a Defence Public Sector Undertaking
(DPSU) which is a manufacturer of strategic defence
electronics system has been advised to ensure that components
of encryption products manufactured by it are not imported
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)
- Six more arrested for attack on Punjab spiritual leader Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale
- IPL 9: RCB skipper Virat Kohli 81-run short to create history this season
- Second seed Andy Murray battles into French Open second round
- Watch video: Furious and stormy young sun seeded life on Earth, says NASA