China plays down general`s warning to India
New Delhi: India on Thursday raised with China the statement of a Chinese general warning India against stirring up "new trouble" on the border and was told that it was "not reflective" of the official view.
India`s reaction followed a statement by Major General Luo Yuan to reporters in Beijing that the "Indian side should not provoke new problems and increase military deployment at the border areas and stir up new trouble".
Luo, deputy director general of the world military research department at a People`s Liberation Army academy, was quoted as saying that "India is the only country in the world that says that it is developing its military power because of China`s military threat".
"So, I believe that India should be very cautious in what it does and what it says."
Luo`s statement came ahead of the Beijing visit by Defence Minister AK Antony for high-level talks.
Official sources in New Delhi said the "matter of statement by Chinese general was promptly raised by India with China".
The Chinese side said they were looking forward to the Indian defence minister`s visit and were "conveyed understanding that the statement is not reflective of Chinese official view".
Luo also said that "there is still problem of 90,000 sq km of territory still occupied by the Indian side. These are the problems left over from history and we should look at it with cool head".
India and China concluded the 16th round of border talks by their Special Representatives last week. Antony is the first Indian defence minister in seven years to visit China. He is to hold formal talks with his Chinese counterpart General Chang Wanquan on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez