China plays down general`s warning to India
New Delhi: India on Thursday raised with China the statement of a Chinese general warning India against stirring up "new trouble" on the border and was told that it was "not reflective" of the official view.
India`s reaction followed a statement by Major General Luo Yuan to reporters in Beijing that the "Indian side should not provoke new problems and increase military deployment at the border areas and stir up new trouble".
Luo, deputy director general of the world military research department at a People`s Liberation Army academy, was quoted as saying that "India is the only country in the world that says that it is developing its military power because of China`s military threat".
"So, I believe that India should be very cautious in what it does and what it says."
Luo`s statement came ahead of the Beijing visit by Defence Minister AK Antony for high-level talks.
Official sources in New Delhi said the "matter of statement by Chinese general was promptly raised by India with China".
The Chinese side said they were looking forward to the Indian defence minister`s visit and were "conveyed understanding that the statement is not reflective of Chinese official view".
Luo also said that "there is still problem of 90,000 sq km of territory still occupied by the Indian side. These are the problems left over from history and we should look at it with cool head".
India and China concluded the 16th round of border talks by their Special Representatives last week. Antony is the first Indian defence minister in seven years to visit China. He is to hold formal talks with his Chinese counterpart General Chang Wanquan on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes